Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dog Grooming

The benefit of having a Maltese/Shihtzu is she does not shed. The bad: her hair grows very fast and requires frequent grooming. If I let it go for more than a week, it will turn into a clumpy mess.

BATH
Frequency: Once a week
We give her lots of treats when she's getting groomed, so she is great when it comes to bath time. We use Buddy Wash Shampoo and follow with Conditioner. We tried to sneak teeth brushing but so far no luck, she will not let us do it. I will have to find another way or bring her to a groomer. After blow drying, we soak up a cotton ball with Ear Cleaner and clean out her ears. I say we because this is usually a team effort, with one giving her small bites of treats.

In addition to giving her Angel Eyes for tear stains, I wash her face every other day. I use a toothbrush to comb out the boogies and use a combination of shampoo and Eye Wash.

BRUSHING
Frequency: 2-3 times a week
She generally hates this routine, so I try to wait for the rare occasion that she's tired. I place her on the bathroom counter and give her treats throughout. Using a Slicker Brush is the best way to get her mats out. When there are clumps of mats, I cut them out using small scissors.

NAIL TRIM
Frequency: Every couple of months
I can usually do this once she's returned from a long day of daycare and passes out. Her nails are light and it's easy to see the quick, so I have no issues with cutting them too close.

OVERALL HYGIENE
I try to check her buttie after every poo to make sure there aren't any clingons, and wipe her peepee with a warm paper towel to keep it clean. I always ask the groomer to cut the hairs around her unmentionables super short. Occasionally in between haircuts I trim them myself.


Got mah hair did

No comments:

Post a Comment